Imagine that you are on a hike and it begins to rain heavily with your boots splattering mud onto your calves. Uncomfortable right? This is why you need rain pants for men!
If you love the outdoors, rain pants are essential as they help you stay comfortable, even in foul weather. The best rain pants are protective, lightweight, and foldable.
What You Should Know Before Buying Rain Pants For Men
The best material for rain pants is waterproof and breathable. This means that it can wick moisture and allow body heat and sweat to evaporate while allowing the inflow of cool air. Some of the commonly used materials for rain pants are:
PVC Coated Polyester
The PVC-coated polyester material is 100% waterproof. In simple terms, it is a regular polyester fabric that is coated with poly-vinyl chloride on the back. While it has a smooth finish inside, it is slightly stiff on the outside.
Gore-Tex is a breathable fabric that repels water and allows body heat to evaporate. It is lightweight and is suitable for all weather. It is made from stretched polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), commonly known as Teflon.
Ripstop Nylon Fabric
The ripstop nylon fabric is made from lightweight wind and water-resistant fabric produced from nylon fibers. It is coated with a waterproof coating to give you durable fabric.
The best fabric for rain pants is the Gore-Tex fabric. It is a top-performing waterproof fabric that is lightweight and breathable.
A pant is water-resistant if the fabric keeps water from penetrating. However, not all water-resistant fabrics are suitable for extreme weather because they offer minimal protection.
If you will be in a very wet environment or outdoors for a long time, I recommend buying 100% waterproof pants because they provide complete protection.
You don’t want to be caught in a wearable sauna in a bid to avoid the rain. So, you need pants with good ventilation to keep you cool on the outside while protecting you from the rain.
Your chosen men’s rain pants must be breathable and be able to transfer sweat vapor quickly from your body and allow cool air from the environment into your body. This determines how dry or clammy you will feel while outdoors.
Your choice of rain pants depends on your need. While rain pants offer a range of pocket options, the best rain pants for men come with two traditional pockets on the side and a variety of pocket numbers.
For example, if you already have hand pockets in your rain jacket, you should go for pants that have more cargo pockets for storage.
If you intend to keep your phone, wallet, and other valuables on you, go for pants with waterproof zippered pockets or have storm guards to keep those items dry. Storm guards are flaps made from a waterproof fabric that covers the zipper.
Choosing the right fit of rain pants is essential for mobility. The best men’s rain pants are not made from bulky fabric that will hinder movement or is noisy. It is also good if it is a bit loose to allow airflow.
Since there are a range of size options, one way to get your right size is to go to an outdoor gear and clothing store to buy readily available stock.
However, if you are ordering online, I recommend buying pants with an adjustable waist to get a more customized fit. Such pants can have a belt, an elastic cord, or a drawstring.
Size When Packed
Having said that the best rain pants are lightweight, this also means that they must take little space and weigh less when packed.
When packed, your chosen rain pants should be below one pound. This ensures that your carry on is not heavier than necessary.
What’s the Best Rain Pants For Men?
To arrive at this list of best rain pants for men, I checked available options, making sure that they have the best features listed above. Then, I read through reviews from verified users. Be assured that these pants come highly recommended, are breathable, and lightweight.
You will also find a FAQ section at the end of the article where I provide honest answers to these questions. Got more questions? Drop them in the comment section and I will answer them.
Material: 100% Nylon
The Columbia Men’s Rebel Roamer Rain Pant is made using Omnitech technology that makes it breathable while keeping it waterproof. It is made from nylon and elastane comfort stretch fabric that keeps you comfortable in any environment.
For total protection, the men’s Rebel Roamer pants have a breathable exterior that resists water and breathable construction that allows the free flow of air, keeping you cool for long.
- Comes with Columbia’s waterproof guarantee
- True to size
- Light, comfortable, and breathable
- Elastic waistband for a customized fit and adjustable drawcord
- Can work as insulator and windbreaker in lower temperature
- The seams are sealed for complete protection.
- The hook and loop closing on the legs protect in wet areas
- Pants do not have zippers in front so you have to lower it when you go to the restroom
- Velcro at the ankle does not run long enough for a snug fit
Material : 64% Polyester, 34% Cotton, 2% Spandex
The HARD LAND tactical waterproof pants are made from thick but lightweight, ripstop fabrics that combine cotton, spandex, and polyester materials.
It has a fully gusseted crotch that allows for easy movement. It is treated with Teflon to resist any kind of stain and look good no matter the level of activity.
A top feature of the Hard Land tactical pants is that it is designed to suit professional use. It has 14 pockets including a phone pocket at the hip, cargo pockets, knife pockets, and 2 knee pad pockets to keep your knees safe. Each pocket is easily accessible.
It is also unique as it does not stick to the skin when you are sweaty. This means that you can remain comfortable in hot weather conditions and be sure that the crotch will hang well.
- The pants are treated with Teflon to repel stains
- Fade-resistant coloring
- Easy to clean
- Breathable and is perfect for activities during summer
- Gusseted inseam for easy movement
- Made from rip-stop materials with triple-stitch sewing at the joints to prevent tears
- Has an elastic band waist and heavy-duty loops for belt
- Has intuitive pocket placement with easy access
- The knee pad pocket offers double protection on the knee
- An adjustment rope at the bottom closes pant legs
- Pockets do not have zippers or flap covers
- May not be best for heavy rain or extremely wet conditions
Material: 85% Polyamide, 15% Spandex
The TBMPOY Men’s Outdoor Pants with Belt is made from polyamide and spandex materials that are breathable, lightweight, windproof, water-resistant, and do not wrinkle.
It has a quick-dry fabric surface that repels water while leaving you cool and comfortable outdoors. It is breathable and does not allow the build-up of sweat. It is lined with comfortable fleece materials that keep you dry and warm in wet and cold environments.
If you are on a budget, the TBMPOY men’s outdoor pant is my recommended option. At its reasonable pricing, it offers a lot of benefits.
- Has a quick-dry fabric surface
- It is windproof and does not wrinkle
- Has an adjustable waistband for a customized snug fit
- It comes with an easy to adjust built-in belt
- Has a flexible knee design that allows you to stretch and do any movement
- Zippered-pockets keep your belongings safe
- It is not ideal for heavy-duty work
- The waist closure is dress pants hook style that is not as durable as a button
- The belt is long and is not heavy duty
Material: 100% Nylon
If you are looking to get premium rain pants, you should consider getting the Outdoor Research Men’s Helium Pants. It is made from nylon with a 30D ripstop body and Pertex shield that makes it waterproof, wind-resistant, and breathable while lightweight.
The pants weigh 5.5ounces and offer complete protection while outdoors. It features a drawstring closure and an elastic waistband with a drawcord for improved fit. It has a gusseted crotch and ankle zippers for cool comfort.
Its back pocket doubles as a storage pouch for it. It is ideal for a sunny environment as it is breathable.
- Made from ripstop fabric
- Packable with a built-in storage purse for it
- Take little backpack space
- Boot zips that go over big boots
- Seals on leg zip to keep you dry
- Reflective logos keep you visible in the dark
- Breathable while providing maximum storm protection
- Perform well in any weather and do not heat up in sunny weather
- Actual sizing may differ from the advertised size
- Only one pocket at the back
Shell Material: 94% Nylon, 6% Spandex
Lining Material: 100% Polyester
The Jessie Kidden Men’s Waterproof Hiking Pant is made from waterproof and breathable materials that repel water while keeping you cool and warm. It has a moisture-wicking technology that quickly transfers sweat and allows the flow of cool air.
It has a 3 layered fabric that consists of a waterproof coating, a quick-drying elastic exterior, and an inner fleece layer to keep you warm in cold environments. Its lotus leaf waterproof coating prevents the penetration of water droplets while accelerating the sliding off of it.
It has articulated knees for ease of movement and a closed boot fit that prevents cold air from getting into your legs. The pants can be tucked into your boots without restricting your movement.
It comes with a detachable belt. Its ripstop fabric protects your leg from scratch and keeps the pants in good condition.
- Comes with a partial side elastic waistband and a detachable belt
- Stretch materials for excellent fit and increased mobility
- 6 zippered pockets for keeping your valuables
- 3D cut in the knee for improved movement
- Fleece-lined thick knees provide tear-resistance and warmth
- Triple-layered for waterproofing and breathability
- Slim fitted to look fashionable
- Cut and fit are based on Asian sizing so it may differ from actual sizing
- Pockets may run shallow
Shell Material: 100% Nylon
Lining Material: 100% Polyester
The Clothin Men’s Rain Pant is made from a 100% nylon shell with 100% polyester lining. It has an elastic waistband and a drawstring inside the waistband for an improved customized feel.
It has 2 waterproof zippered pockets with flaps in front. This is to keep your phones and other valuables safe during foul weather. It has fully taped seams for increased protection from the rain, making it ideal for any outdoor activity.
It comes with an adjustable leg opening with cord locks for a snug fit.
- Adjustable leg openings with cord locks
- Adjustable velcro strap at the bottom of pant legs
- Two zippered pockets in front
- Has only two pockets
- Has no insulation for warmth
- They are not lightweight
- May run long and baggy
Material: 100% Nylon
Made with 100% nylon fabric, the Mountain Warehouse Pakka Men’s Waterproof Rain Pant is lightweight and breathable. It has taped seams that prevent water from getting in through seams.
It is made using IsoDry technology that keeps moisture away while preventing water from getting in. Its quick-drying fabric makes it great activewear for outdoor activities.
It comes with its pack-away bag that makes it handy and easy to pack while going outdoors. On both sides of the pants are slits for easy access to the pockets of your inner clothing. It comes with adjustable straps on both legs to fit over your boots.
- Comes with a small pouch for easy carrying
- Adjustable straps on the leg
- Pocket slits for easy access to the pockets of the pant underneath
- IsoDry technology locks sweat out and keep you dry
- Cannot be worn without extra pants as the second layer
- The pockets are not covered, so water may get in through the openings on the side.
- Delicate material and not rip-stop
- Ankle Velcro do not fit snuggly
- Cannot be worn without removing your shoe
My top choice is the Columbia Men’s Rebel Roamer Rain Pant. It balances functionality and pricing.
The seams are sealed tight for complete protection and can work as a windbreaker in windy conditions. It has a Columbia waterproof guarantee that sets it apart from other products.
Also, it is made from breathable, waterproof materials that keep you cool and wick moisture. It is lightweight so it doesn’t take a lot of packing space.
Although Columbia Men’s Rebel Roamer Rain Pant is my favorite, other rain pants on this list have received some positive reviews, so be sure to check them out.
Questions and Answers About rain pants for men
Choosing to get waterproof rain pants depends on your need. If you are going to a cold-weather environment or will be outdoors in unpredictable weather, you may find them handy.
The best waterproof rain pants allow for easy movements as they have gusseted crotches to reduce the stress on seams. Brands like Columbia Men’s Rebel Roamer Rain Pant allow you to work, run, play, jog, and move properly.
The best type of zippers is water repellant. However, because these zippers often work for a short time, it is best to buy rain pants with a waterproof storm flap over the zipper.
You may not need rain pants in warm seasons, but they can be helpful if you work in wet areas or heading to wet areas.
To wash your rain pants, check the washing instructions on the inner tag. However, a general rule for washing rain pants is to avoid using detergents. This is because the stain removal properties of active detergents can break down the waterproof coating of rain pants. Also, do not use bleaches or cloth softener.