Socks can be the difference between an enjoyable time and an uncomfortable one. No matter what you are doing, your feet need to be comfortable, and wearing wool socks is the perfect way to do that.
The best wool socks keep your feet comfortable and wrap them in warmth. Wool materials are different from others because they are softer and have high insulation. They also have moisture and odor-wicking properties.
What You Should Know Before Buying Wool Socks
Types of wool for socks
Socks manufacturers have a variety of wools to choose from. Types of wool for socks include lambswool, merino wool, and alpaca wool. These wool types are natural fibers that keep your feet comfortable.
The quality of wool is determined by many factors including length, strength, color, purity, and fiber diameter which is the thickness of the wool fiber. When buying wool socks, I recommend checking the type of wool used and where possible, buy socks made from Merino wool. This is because Merino wool is the softest and most durable natural wool available today.
Pros and Cons of Wool Socks
Some pros and cons of wool socks include:
- Wool is comfortable in any condition,
- It is moisture and odor wicking,
- It absorbs up to 30% of its weight in water thereby keeping your feet dry,
- Breathable and wrinkle-resistant,
- It is soft and good for the skin.
- Low-quality wool can cause itching,
- It is difficult to clean and is not recommended for machine wash,
- Wearing wool socks without shoes can cause friction and lead to holes,
- It is thick and bulky.
The bottom line is that the higher the quality of the wool socks, the less con that it has.
Wool socks height
Choosing wool socks height is usually based on preference for style. However, if you wear boots, I recommend buying crew and quarter socks as they protect against abrasion from your boot tops.
Wool socks thickness
Wool socks vary in thickness and choosing the best one for you depends on the volume of your feet and the fit of your footwear. If you have high-volume feet, you should go for thinner socks; low-volume feet are best paired with thicker socks.
Wool socks padding
Generally, padding is created for protection and cushioning on the heel and ball of the foot. Manufacturers create padding either by weaving long-wearing acrylic materials into these high contact areas or by increasing the weave density in those areas.
What’s the Best Wool Socks?
To arrive at this list of best wool socks to buy, I looked through available options and checked if they conform to the features highlighted above. I also read reviews from verified buyers to determine the best socks.
At the end of this review, you will find a FAQ section where I answer recurring questions on wool socks. If you have questions, be sure to leave them in the comment section.
Number of pairs: 1
Material:: 61% Merino Wool, 36% Nylon, 3% Lycra Spandex
Aside from topping this list of best wool socks, the Darn Tough Hiker Micro Crew Cushion Sock is also the best premium buy merino wool sock available today.
It is an all-weather comfort sock that helps to keep your foot warm in the winter and cool in the summer. It has moisture-wicking and quick-drying properties that keep your feet comfortable for long.
It is a micro crew height sock that is designed to stay snuggly fitted against your feet without bunching or slipping.
- Perfect for hiking,
- It comes with a lifetime guarantee,
- Micro crew height for trekking and hiking,
- Ribbed support to prevent slipping and bunching
- It provides arch support,
- The actual size may differ from the advertised size,
- A bit pricey
Number of pairs: 4
Material:: 86% Merino Wool, 10% Polyester, 3% Nylon, 1% Spandex
The EnerWear 4 Pack Women’s Merino Wool Sock is breathable and comes in a range of colors to suit your style. It is made from 86% merino wool to keep your feet comfortable in extreme weather conditions or during outdoor activities like skiing and mountaineering.
It has terry-loop cushioning around the feet with elastic materials that make it comfortably stretchy. The ankle arch helps to prevent slipping and bunching by keeping the socks in place during high activity periods.
- It is specially designed for extreme weather conditions,
- It has an ankle arch to keep socks in place,
- It is blended with lycra for a comfortable stretch,
- Comes in fashionable colors
- They may not be the thickest socks to get
Number of pairs: 3
Material:: 75% Merino wool, 15% nylon, 10% stretchable elastic
Meriwool Merino Wool Sock comes in a 3-pair crew length socks package that is suitable for men and women. It has breathable insulation features that keep your foot from overheating while being lightweight for any activity of your choice. The sock has the natural odor-resistant property of merino wool and moisture-wicking properties that keep you dry and comfortable.
While it is mostly made from merino wool, it is also made from durable nylon materials that are tear-resistant and stretchable elastic for a comfortable fit. The ribbed cuff helps it to stay up all day.
- Wear and tear-resistant,
- Machine washable on low heat,
- It has odor-resistant properties,
- Rib-knit fabric provides elasticity
- It performs less compression when compared to other socks,
- They tend to shrink in the drier
Number of pairs: 1
Material:: 74% Wool/10% Polyester/9% Nylon/6% Acrylic/1% Lycra-Spandex
Carhartt Men’s Extremes Arctic Wool Boot Sock is ideal for the roughest climate and the coldest environment. It is also recommended for long flight hours because it has thermal insulation and cushioning to keep your feet cool and comfortable.
The sock combines Carhartt’s FastDry technology with its high wool content to increase the rate of drying and wick moisture. It also has an odor-free technology that keeps your feet fresh for long.
For breathability, the Carhartt Men’s Extremes Arctic Wool Boot Sock has mesh panels that improve air circulation.
- It has odor-free technology for improved freshness,
- Has a mesh panel for improved air circulation,
- It is ideal for tall men,
- It has reinforced heel and toe for full-motion range support
- It may need sock liners for cold temperature,
- It tends to run tight around the calf area
Number of pairs: 1
Material:: 63% Ultra soft merino wool, 30% Nylon, 7% Spandex
Largely made from Merino wool, the CloudLine Merino Wool Sock comes in vibrant colors that keep you looking stylish while doing a good job at keeping your feet comfortable. It is light cushioned which means that it is only cushioned under the foot, thereby improving breathability.
It is blended with nylon and spandex for a stretchy, comfortable fit and to keep it up all day. It has quick-wicking and antimicrobial properties that keep your foot dry, comfortable, and itch-free.
- It is lightweight and perfect for athletic activities,
- It has antimicrobial properties for itch-free comfort,
- It can be worn for multiple days without washing,
- Light cushioning improves breathability
- The vibrant sock color fades over a period,
- Not ideal for high impact activities because of its light cushioning,
- It may run a bit tight
Number of pairs: 5
The 5 Pairs Womens Wool Soft Cabin Socks come in a mix of colors that make them adorable on sight and an ideal gift idea.
They are blended with jacquard for comfort and flexibility while being cozy and breathable. They keep your feet warm in cold conditions and are lightweight. The socks are versatile in that they can be paired with both formal and informal outfits.
- They are blended with jacquard for flexibility,
- They are perfect for formal and informal outings,
- The pack comes in a mix of fashionable colors
- The socks tend to run small and shrink,
- They pill on the inside
Number of pairs: 3
The Danish Endurance Merino Wool Socks are padded underfoot to provide comfort and reduce blisters caused by friction. They come with integrated ventilation zones that increase breathability and keep your feet dry.
They are ideal for active use and support your feet during outdoor activities like skiing, hiking, and trailing. The socks are unisex and come in a range of vibrant colors to keep you stylish while being comfortable.
- It comes in a range of stylish colors,
- They are unisex and have kid sizes,
- It has extra underfoot padding to support active use,
- Integrated mesh vents for airflow,
- It has a seamless toe design to prevent uncomfortable rubbing
- Actual sizing differs from displayed size,
- It has a smaller wool content than most socks,
- It needs to be washed before first use,
- It does not have enough arch support
Number of pairs: 3
Material:: 80% Merino wool, 17% Nylon, 2% Spandex, 1% Elastic
DG Hill provides excellent socks with their 80% Merino Wool Socks for men and women. The socks feature a high wool fiber content with regular features like moisture-wicking, thermal insulation, and odor-resistance.
They have antibacterial properties to keep your feet fresh and can be paired with boots for men and women. The DG Hill 3 Pairs 80% Merino Wool Socks for Men and Women have a thermal fleece lining and extra cushion along the soles for keeping your feet comfortably warm. The elastic ankles also keep them from slipping and bunching.
- Reinforced heel and toe support for long hours on your feet,
- It has fleece interior lining to keep your feet dry and warm,
- It can be machine washed on cold with the same color materials
- It is not as durable as other brands on the list,
- It is prone to shrinkage,
- New socks have a pungent chemical odor
Number of pairs: 4
Material:: 80% Merino Wool, 15% Polyester, 4% Nylon, 1% Spandex
Are you on a budget? The Buttons & Pleats Wool Socks for Men and Women is the right choice for you. The socks feature a blend of 80% merino wool that makes them durable and comfortable for long hours. They also come with a full cushioning to support your feet.
The socks have arch compression that supports your feet so that you can walk all day in them. They have mesh ventilation channels that improve breathability and allow improved airflow.
They perform moisture-wicking functions, are soft, and offer itch-free comfort for men and women.
- It is ideal for pairing with boots,
- It perfectly balances breathability and moisture wicking,
- It uses a no-slip design to prevent bunching
- It might not be ideal for extremely cold conditions
Number of pairs: 3
Material:: 30% Wool, 10% Cotton, 15% Spandex, 45% Polyester
The Mens Heavy Thick Wool Socks are thick enough to withstand frigid conditions. They have high elasticity and are stretchy, making them comfortable to wear.
The socks are made from comfortable wool material with fluffy wool lining to keep your toes and feet warm. The stretchable elastic band supports your feet and arc while the compressed top keeps them snugly on your calf and prevents slipping.
- They are ideal for extremely cold conditions,
- They are easy to wear and pull off, even on wet feet,
- They are lined with fluffy wool for soft comfort
- Most people find the elastic band on top constricting,
- They have less wool component,
- They are not lightweight
The winner of this best wool socks roundup is the Darn Tough Hiker Micro Crew Cushion Sock. It is specially made for hiking and outdoor activities. The sock is primarily made from merino wool and is mixed with high-quality nylon, lycra, and spandex materials to keep your foot dry and comfortable for long.
It has a form-fitted toe, underfoot padding, and enough arch support to protect your foot against friction and prevent blisters or an athlete’s foot.
The best part is that it comes with a lifetime warranty. This means that if you have any complaint, you can send it back anytime and it will be replaced at no cost.
Questions and Answers About Wool Socks
Are wool socks good for hiking?
Wool is the most popular and most recommended material for making hiking socks. This is because it regulates feet temperature while providing cushioning for your feet on the trail.
What else are wool socks good for?
Wool socks are good for any outdoor activity as they are great insulators, provide cushion, and absorb moisture. They can also be worn indoors for a relaxing and comfortable feel.
How should I store wool?
Generally, the best way to store wool clothing is by folding them after cleaning and storing them in a vacuum bag or an air-tight container for no more than a year. If your wool clothing is stored for more than a year, you need to take them out and allow air-drying for a bit before restoring.
In particular, socks need to be washed following washing instructions and folded flatly after they dry, before storing them in vacuum-packed bags. You can add some cedar to the package to ward off bugs and other creatures.
Are wool socks the warmest?
Yes, socks made from wool are some of the warmest options available today. They are also a great insulator for cold, wick moisture when your feet are sweaty, and keep your feet dry.