Lovingly referred to as the “Scotland of India”, Coorg is one of the most desirable tourist destinations in India. Cool breeze, amazing weather, mystical hills and the rich aroma of coffee will engulf the sense of relaxation within any person. Unspoiled, serene and beautiful, is what describes Coorg. The perfect retreat to rejuvenate into a relaxing trip, Coorg is one of the best options to indulge into. Although it can be visited all through the year, the peak tourist season is from October to March.
The best places to visit at Coorg
One of the most beautiful waterfalls in South India, Abbey Falls is one of the best places to visit in Coorg. Cascading from majestic mountains of the Western Ghats, it is the perfect place to click a selfie! Nature lovers rate this place as one of the most preferred sightseeing spot. Amid the stretches of coffee plantations and pepper vines, it exudes a picturesque beauty. The hanging bridge offers a fantastic view of the entire falls.
The vibrant and beautiful Mallalli Falls at the foothills of Pushpagiri Hills in Kodagu District is the Mallalli Falls which is yet another favourite tourist places in Coorg. Falling from a splendid height of over 200 ft., it offers a relaxing atmosphere with the natural water sound gushing through ravines and crevices.
Built in 1820, Omkareshwara Temple offers Mumammadan architectural style architecture with a center dome and four corners with turrets. It is dedicated to Lord Shiva but ironically has a blend of Gothic and Islamic architectural styles.
A fascinating island formed by River Cauvery is one of the main tourist places in Coorg as well as a popular picnic spot. Stretching across 64 km, the island is nestled amid thick foliage, lush bamboo groves and teak trees. The most exhilarating part of the journey is probably the route through the hanging rope bridge.
Nature and Freshness at Coorg
Coorg, also known as Kodagu, is renowned for its stunning natural beauty and refreshing ambiance. Here’s what you can expect in terms of nature and freshness when visiting Coorg:
- Lush Greenery: Coorg is often referred to as the “Scotland of India” due to its verdant landscapes. You’ll encounter lush coffee plantations, dense forests, and vibrant tea gardens that create a soothing and green environment.
- Coffee Plantations: Coorg is one of the largest coffee producers in India, and touring its coffee estates is a delightful experience. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee and the sight of endless coffee plantations contribute to the region’s freshness.
- Waterfalls: Coorg is home to several beautiful waterfalls, such as Abbey Falls, Iruppu Falls, and Mallalli Falls. These cascading waterfalls provide a refreshing escape, and you can even take a dip in some of them.
- Tea Gardens: In addition to coffee, Coorg also has tea gardens that add to the region’s lushness. Walking through these tea estates, you can relish the refreshing sight of tea bushes on rolling hills.
- Misty Mornings: Coorg is known for its misty mornings, which create a serene and refreshing atmosphere. Waking up to mist-covered hills and valleys is a rejuvenating experience.
- Biodiversity: The region boasts a rich biodiversity, making it a paradise for nature enthusiasts. You can spot various species of birds, butterflies, and even larger wildlife in its national parks and wildlife sanctuaries.
- Mountain Views: Coorg is nestled in the Western Ghats, offering breathtaking views of misty mountains and deep valleys. The fresh mountain air invigorates the senses.
- Homestays: Staying in cozy homestays amidst nature is a common lodging option in Coorg. These accommodations allow you to immerse yourself in the natural surroundings and experience the freshness up close.
- Trekking and Hiking: Coorg offers numerous trekking and hiking trails through its forests and hills. These adventures allow you to connect with nature, breathe in the fresh air, and enjoy the pristine beauty of the region.
- River Rafting: If you’re looking for an adrenaline rush amidst nature, you can indulge in river rafting in Coorg. The gushing river waters provide an exhilarating experience while being surrounded by greenery.
Coorg’s abundant natural beauty, cool climate, and lush landscapes make it a perfect destination for those seeking a refreshing and rejuvenating escape from city life. Whether you’re an adventure enthusiast or simply looking for a tranquil retreat, Coorg offers a harmonious blend of nature and freshness.
Post Views: 10